Friday, December 24, 2004

Unbefuckingleivable!

'Twas the day before Christmas and all through the house...Amethyst feels the need to grumble and grouse! Can we say AAAAAARRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHH?!? Mom hadn't even been here a full 24 hours...she's not even staying with me yet, and I already had to lay down the law last night. I was joking around with her, and she told me to "shut the fuck up"....in front of my kids. Then she went out to the porch for a smoke. I almost let it slide, like in the old days....then I decided that oh hell no...that shit is SO not happening anymore. So I put on my coat, marched to the front door, took a deep breath, went outside and said in a calm, yet very firm voice..."Do not speak to me like that again...in my own home, or anywhere for that matter. Mother or no, you have no right to speak to me like that for no reason." She started to get her panties in a twist, but I didn't let her. I continued on in that same calm, firm, icy voice I use on my kids. I told her that she will find that when someone says or does something that I don't like, I will no longer hesitate to stand up and put a stop to it...and I don't care who they are, or who they think they are. You know, I'm not entirely positive, but I think I gained some small measure of her respect out there on that freezing cold porch. I've never in my life seen her back down that fast to anyone....and I didn't raise my voice once, even though I was incredibly irked. As for my self-respect level...it went through the roof. It used to be that Mom would go off on one of her tangents, and I'd do one of two things. I'd either do nothing and try to ignore her, or I'd lose my temper and act just as childish as she was....neither of which ever did a lick of good, and in fact probably made the situation worse. Last night marked the very first time I've ever had the cojones to look my mother squarely in the eye and tell her that I will not tolerate her behavior. So tomorrow its off to Wanda's for Christmas dinner. The only reason she invited me and Mick is partly because Mom insisted, and partly to look good for her friends. It'll be the first time I've set foot in her house for about a year. Jeez...if I'm not careful, I may end up telling her to get on her broomstick and take a flying fuck at a rolling donut if she gets in my face! LMAO I'm not looking forward to it at all. It's just gonna be an exercise in tension. I'll be on the defensive, just waiting for her to start with me...or more likely, with CJ. She's the one I'm worried about. She SO doesn't want to go. She's only going because of Mark (her stepdad)...and because I'm going. I told her that all she has to do is say the word and I'll take her home. There's no reason for her to have to take her so-called mother's crap on Christmas.

later....Oh. My. Frickin. Gawd. I get home from walking the dog to find Mick sitting at the computer, sputtering. He was on his lunch break from work. Apparently my mother called him...at work on one of the busiest days of the year, no less....to hit him up for CIGARETTE MONEY!!!! Yeah, that'll happen....NOT! Where is the money that Wanda was supposed to reimburse her for her bus ticket, is what I'd like to know. Wanda told Mom to buy a one way ticket, and she'd give her the money when she got here. I'm paying her way back...it was the only way she could come for Christmas. So Mark came into the store right after Mom's call, and Mick asked him why Mom is calling to hit him up for money when they were supposed to have reimbursed her the $90 for her ticket. Mark was confused...he thought Wanda had taken care of it already. Poor guy was pretty mortified. He couldn't believe her audacity. Hell, neither can I! Who calls a non-smoker at work (in the retail industry, BTW) on Christmas Eve to ask for cigarette money that she has no intention of paying back??If she thinks for one bloody minute that we will support her addiction while she's here, she's got another think coming. I will not pay for her lousy, stinking coffin nails. I haven't bought a pack of cigarettes in 19 months....I do not intend to start. If I won't buy them for myself, I sure as hell won't buy them for her. I think that's asking wayyyyy too much. If she doesn't like it...TFB, I'm afraid. I'll buy her a bottle of vegetable juice....I may even spring for a Diet Coke or two, but I will not under any circumstances buy cigarettes. I absolutely, positively REFUSE!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home