Sunday, November 28, 2004

R.I.P., Janet

I found out a couple of days ago that a long-time member of the QuitNet succumbed to her battle with lung cancer on the 24th. She was a source of inspiration to many, myself included. It was one of her posts that convinced me that I was killing myself with smokes and that I had to quit NOW. "Jessicaybar" was only 43 years old. She was diagnosed with lung cancer shortly after her 40th birthday. Her doctor told her it had probably been there a year or two already, judging from the size of the tumour. She got this horrendous news just 2 weeks after she quit smoking. She could've said " Well, I got cancer now...might as well smoke", but she held on to her quit right up to the end. Throughout her ordeal, she showed remarkable courage and strength. Although I didn't know her personally, she touched my life and helped me to strengthen my resolve toward my quit. Jessicaybar leaves behind her husband and four children, who range in age from 14-5.Here it is, folks...this is what smoking leads to. You're never too young to get cancer. This lady got it at about 38. They caught it while the tumour was still very tiny, they removed part of the affected lung...and she still died. Smoking is so not worth this. Jessicaybar should be teaching her elementary school class and raising her own kids. She was a young, vital woman...and now she's gone. I have a brother the same age, for crying out loud. Smoking KILLS! If you smoke, please...PLEASE quit. It can be done, I promise. You just have to believe that you can do it, and you have to see cigarettes..and your own addiction...for what they are....deadly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home